The role combines elements of hands-on work (reacting to emerging situations, such as interactions with third parties), and strategic responsibilities, (such as developing ER plans to improve employee engagement). To achieve this, the ER Manager will need to work closely with colleagues in ER across the business, and managers and HR colleagues in the specific business unit. Many of these Employee Relations issues emerge quickly and typically have to be completed within a very short timescale. Balancing time between projects and responding to developing situations is a critical skill. The role also requires very strong influencing skills, labor relations expertise gained within Europe, high judgment, experience in developing and delivering compelling training products, excellent writing skills, and good project management experience. The successful candidate will be required to travel extensively (up to 40% of time) and occasionally at short notice. Because of the travel requirement, the base location can be flexible within Europe.
The key responsibilities of this role will include, but not be limited to:
- Analysing, diagnosing, designing and revising people programs, policies and practices to sustain positive employee relations
- Developing and delivering scaleable training products to build ER knowledge and skills amongst managers and HR colleagues across the region
- Working with the ER Principals EMEA, and other stakeholders, such as internal and external counsel, to conduct interactions with third parties
- Developing an understanding of the employee engagement levels and drivers in our various locations and support the delivery of initiatives designed to achieve engagement targets aligned to our ER philosoph
- Ensuring stakeholders in EMEA and elsewhere are updated promptly and accurately when ER situations emerge
- Conducting climate assessments in sites requiring them, and ensure all actions resulting from them are recorded and followed up
- Working with the ER team to further develop tracking mechanisms to ensure relevant data and internal and external risk indicators are appropriately flagged and responded toWorking with HR colleagues and managers who are responsible for liaising with existing works councils to ensure that any potential problems are understood and mitigated, and that such forums work smoothly and promote good employee engagement
- Using HR analytics and external sources of data to improve our ER products
- Conducting investigations, and misconduct and employee complaint processes
- Partnering with HR site managers, business partners and employment counsel to identify and respond to emerging risks, be they resulting from manager action, employee discontent, or union approaches
- Partnering with employee relations colleagues across the business on LR/ER issues affecting all business units
- Scheduling and conducting quarterly meetings with relevant internal stakeholders to scrutinise and interpret heatmaps, and follow up on recommendations, eg, scheduling and conducting climate assessments
- Assessing the ER landscape of countries that AWS is considering expanding into, and advising on an appropriate strategy to ensure ER risks are mitigated.
- BA/BSc in business, HR, or labor relations
- Substantial and hands on ER experience (5+ years) preferably in a multi-national organisation, with significant EMEA presence and high growth
- Experience in leading and influencing small but senior international project teams
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Technically proficient in MS Word, Excel, Access, & PowerPoint
- Third party interaction experience, including conflict situations
Experience of working closely with works councils, and the senior leadership team who present to them.
The SR Group (Netherlands) B.V. is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.